Monday, July 26, 2010

Interview with Jessica Moulton: "Where are the icons of our failing system?"

Jessica Moulton is a painter, teacher and multi-media installation artist living in Old Town whose work responds to issues of feminism, homelessness and social inequality from a deeply personal perspective.

In late 2009, a personal experience of sudden homelessness inspired Moulton to create the autobiographical work,
"Breaking Point." In this installation, the walls of a small office-like room that seems to be in the midst of being packed up are painted with an eerie repeating pattern in orange shades, depicting womanlike forms that seems to hang in midair as they slip in and out of the surrounding colors. The result is disconcerting, a testimony to the possibility of madness as a home is emptied of its meaning.

I talked with Jessica about the inspiration behind her installation work.

RR:
You have shared your paintings via our website before, and I know you also create installation
art. Can you tell me more about your installation pieces?

Jessica: My installation pieces center around past events and memories as a trigger. I want people who view the pieces to see things from another perspective that has possibility instead of limitations.

RR: What do you like about the materials and artistic media you have worked with? Is there a new medium you're interested in trying out and working with?

Jessica: I like [that] the materials I work with are challenging and comforting at the same time. I learn something new about my craft every time I complete a piece. I use found objects and painting. My newest installation that I am still in the process of designing is going to contain found objects and technology like video and audio work. [The "Breaking Point"] installation was based on my personal experience of being homeless combined with a feminist perspective.

On August 24, 2009 I experienced a life changing event, I became homeless. Over the next month I experienced moments of frustration and I found it difficult to find a way to respond to what I was experiencing. That changed when I lucked out and found a place to live. The perk of being a college student.

I now know the way for me to respond to my experience is through my work. I know that my family is not the only family in Maine to go through this. We have icons of modernity, power, and success. Where are the icons of our failing system? Why aren't we seeing those images everyday? I am driven to tell my story and give voice to a problem that is common but not discussed. I created the boxes and the installation as autobiographical pieces.


RR: What have you been working on lately?

Jessica: I have been in the process of developing a new installation inspired by memory and how some people can lose memories.

RR: How do most people come across your work?

Jessica: I have an online photo album on my Facebook page. I am in the process of creating an online portfolio.

RR: Jessica, Thanks so much!

Jessica is currently enrolled at the University of Maine in the MFA Intermediary Program. Currently she resides in Old Town, Maine with her partner Joe and her children Kacey and Chloe. To see more views of the "Breaking Point" installation, click here.

Image: 'Breaking Point' installation at
Circuit City, December 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment